The solutions to many of the problems that we have tackled at Blade do not present themselves immediately, nor are they straightforward. In many cases, we have returned scientifically to first principles in order to solve them. As this is the case, available software tools are not optimized to perform the required analyses, and sometimes they do not exist altogether. To that end, we’ve developed numerous proprietary software tools to help us in future problem solving.
We’ve commercialized one such software tool; StrinGnosis. StrinGnosis is a tubular stress analysis suite that incorporates Reliability Based Design (RBD) principles in addition to traditional Working Stress Design (WSD). More information can be found here.
OTHER PROPRIETARY SOFTWARE WE HAVE DEVELOPED INCLUDES:
- Technical advisor to development of industry’s first transient interactive UBD training simulator UbitTS based on the industry-standard transient multiphase flow engine Olga.
- Development of UBD-PIE, a probabilistic UBD productivity improvement estimator that combines reservoir engineering theory with statistical updating using a database of 200+ UBD wells from 35 fields
- Development of eRes-UBD, an unstructured-grid, CVFE dynamic reservoir simulator specialized for UBD reservoir analysis.
- Development of e-DAMS, an ultra-fine grid simulator that goes from core-scale to reservoir scale, used to quantify the extent and degree of damage during overbalanced operations.
- Development of a unique stochastically based dynamic simulation approach for valuation of UBD to establish a reservoir-based business case.
- Blade personnel were an integral part of BP’s subsea and deepwater technology team that developed several unique technologies for the mitigation of annular pressure buildup problems in deepwater wells, including the use of Syntactic Foam modules, as well as new methods to assess landing string limits. Blade personnel also developed a PVT-based annular pressure buildup screening tool.
- Development of “Stringtracker”, the industry’s first drill pipe fatigue and stress analysis tool to optimize pipe management.
- Development of unique suites of reliability-based engineering software and limit-states design tools for reliability-based design and quantitative risk analysis of wells and structures.
- SOROVS. Second Order Reliability done in the Original Variable Space is the engine which will allow for the first real time totally probabilistic design program. Unlike other techniques like Monte Carlo, MAIS, SORM or FORM, SOROVS is both accurate and extremely fast. This allows casing and tubing designers to run several stochastic load combinations against several wellbore configurations in a matter of seconds to produce probabilistic results.